Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Man's Tiger and Dragon Case



Had a person to commission me to make him a case to carry around his notepad and files. That would have a strap that could loop around his neck and shoulders, to keep his hands free, and rest on his side. He showed me a picture of a dragon and tiger emblem, and gave a general idea of the background colors, strap, and clasp that he wanted on it. So the venture begins.

After spending several hours in a craft shop drooling over all the goodies on the  shelves. I picked out what I thought would be the right size for this case, standard wooden box, with hinges.. 9 inches by 11 inches.
Here is the idea for the picture he wanted on his case.   


                       lovely vibrant colors



Since the background of the figures had a varied shading around the center with paints I decided to do my background to the dragon and tiger like this.
Very simple stippling, but 5 hours of work. Done in different directions and heat which gives it a skin texture, ( or to my eyes its does).  This is the wooden case after wood burning.




As you can tell it's pretty but not near as vibrant as the copy that was given to me. So after a little pondering. This is what I came up with,water color glazings;( by mixing watercolor powders to a little clear acrylic sealer), and then letting them merge at the edges. Then using a dark cherry wood stains around the emblem.  I ended up with this. 


Next I will need to seal the box inside and out, and put the straps and Clasps on it. For today this is it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment