Friday, July 26, 2013

Indian Chief

I started a new project this week of an Indian Chief. There was so much character and life showing on the face it just called to me to test my skills. After printing, and tracing the main shapes, I start to burn. I learned a very good lesson. The next time I have the urge to test my skills to first think about how much time I am willing to spend on such a venture, and to remember I am not on a time clock,nor is it a rush order.  I spent way too many late and long hours on this picture.   

After 2 days of burning this was as far as I got. Not bad but still needing a lot of work done on it.



So I continue to do the detail for another 6 hours. Until it was ready for the framing.

Framing to me is always a puzzle. You want something that is going to work well, but not take away from your wood burning, and will show the work off to the best advantage. After much discussion with friends and family I finally settled on the burned edge with filing . A rather long process.

I first took my dremel and filed or distressed the edges .




Then I had to smooth off the edges before burning the edges with the soldering iron.

I think the next time I try to do this framing I will try a torch then go back and touch up any area’s not done to correct depths of burning to use the soldering iron then. This should cut back on the time it takes to do this. 4 hours. I also burned a little on the top of the picture to get the look of singeing on the top. Next you do a light sanding. Then a light coat of golden Oak wood stain, and sealer.

Here is the finished product. I am pretty pleased with it:) What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Sharron! I especially like the way you finished the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks you Carla:) I think it sets the right tone for the picture

    ReplyDelete